tiistai 4. syyskuuta 2012

Learning English


                                      The Beginning

When I was little I watched cartoons in English and listened to music.        
 I don’t really have any memory of how I started learning English, but ever since we started English in school I remember it always being easy to understand and I got good grades for every test. And we had a fun English book in primary school where they visited Ice Cream Island and a penguin named Mr. Cool.

                                                              School

 We had English the first time in the third grade and it was exciting and new.           
  I only remember English always being fun and easy to learn. A point where I realized that I actually knew English was when I was still in primary school. I was watching an English TV show and I noticed that I hadn’t looked at the subtitles for a long time. It was a funny feeling and I was happy to realize that I didn’t need any subtitles to watch a show.

                                                            New York

Last year when I was in New York I got to speak a lot more English that I probably ever had in my life. I went shopping on my own in Times Square every day so I couldn’t just be quiet and let my parents talk, but had to do it myself. It was interesting how many different types of English accents you heard walking down only one street, so it gave me more confidence to speak up even if it wasn’t perfect.
We also went to see a movie there and only halfway through the movie I noticed that there were no subtitles.
                                                      
                                                              
                                                               English now

I still find English easy to learn and I am excited to learn new things and improve my English skills. I would like to move to England when I’m older, because the accent is beautiful and Finland is too boring for me!
                                  

7 kommenttia:

  1. You observed something really useful while in New York - there really are so many different accents of English! And in the end, your accent doesn't matter for as long as you get nicely understood. Your understanding of English must be very good to be able to watch TV programmes and films without subtitles! We are lucky here in Finland to get all our entertainment in the original language. As for moving to England, you might find it a little too busy and crowded after quiet Finland. Why do most of you young people say Finland is boring?

    VastaaPoista
  2. It is really nice to know that you don't feel embarrased because of your English. Your English is very good and I noticed that people here in Finland are so shy of their English, even if they speak a really really good English. That is what I think: the best way to improve your English is practising. And I understand what Sinikka says about crowded, but for what I know of you untill now, I think you would love living in England. And you don't really need to move to London if you don't get used. There are oter cities quite calm.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. yes I've also noticed that a lot of Finnish people are shy about speaking other languages.

      Poista
  3. I like that you can learn english so easy. Can you learn other languages as easully? Also, did you speak a lot of English in New York and was it hard?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. No, I don't learn other languages as easily but i would like to:) And yes I spoke a lot of English in New York and it was a lot easier there because everyone else spoke it too.

      Poista
  4. It is very nice to meet you Venla. Natalie here from Naples, Florida (: I enjoyed reading your blog on how you came to learning english and to hear how easy it was for you! Isn't New York just wonderful?! So glad to here that you had no fear speaking english while there, seeing all the different walks of life on just one street is truly inspiring. In regards to moving to England, if you can handle all the rain and muggy weather it is for you! Best of luck.

    VastaaPoista